|Title Matches Played|
|October through December|
|Three Newspaper Companies Alliance|
|Time Allotted (Title)|
|Time Allotted (League)|
The Tengen tournament is a Japanese professional go competition featuring a challenge against the Tengen for his title.
C through B Preliminaries
Players from the Kansai Ki-in and the Chuubu branch of the Nihon Ki-in compete in a separate set of single-knockout preliminaries, advancing from C to B. The top 12 players qualify for the A preliminary.
The 12 qualifying players from the Kansai Ki-in and the Chuubu and Osaka branches of the Nihon Ki-in's A preliminary compete in a separate single-knockout preliminary. The top 6 players advance to the main tournament.
The main tournament is a single-knockout tournament comprised of 34 players:
- The 15 players who qualified in the A preliminary held by the Nihon Ki-in for players of its Tokyo main branch
- The 5 players who qualified in the A preliminary held jointly by the Kansai Ki-in for its players and the Nihon Ki-in for the players of its Chuubu and Osaka branches
- The 4 players who reached the semi-finals of last year's main tournament
The winner advances to the title challenge.
The winner of the main tournament challenges the Tengen for his title in a best-of-5 series. The winner of the series gains (or retains) the title of Tengen, and will await next year's challenger.
"Tengen" may be assumed as an honourary title by players who have won the title 10 times in a row, or at the age of 60 or at retirement by players who have mounted 5 successful sequential defences of the title.
It takes 23 months to progress from Preliminary C to the final title match.
- Preliminary C
- February through March (first year)
- Preliminary B
- April through July (first year)
- Preliminary A
- August through November (first year)
- Main Tournament
- December (first year) through September (second year)
- Title Matches
- November through December (second year)
|February||C Preliminary||Main Tournament|
|March||C Preliminary||Main Tournament|
|April||B Preliminary||Main Tournament|
|May||B Preliminary||Main Tournament|
|June||B Preliminary||Main Tournament|
|July||B Preliminary||Main Tournament|
|August||A Preliminary||Main Tournament|
|September||A Preliminary||Main Tournament|
|November||A Preliminary||Title Matches|
|December||Main Tournament||Title Matches|